November TB&CO Grab Bag November 13 2015, 1 Comment
A little about me: my name is Jan and I’m an aspiring mixed-media artist. I had scrapbooked until most of the scrapbook stores shut down (I loved touching products and mixing up all the bits and pieces). I discovered digital scrapbooking through Somerset Digital Studio magazine and eventually Tangie Baxter’s Art Journal Caravan, and this kept me engaged. But I still missed the touching and getting my hands onto products. Thanks again to Tangie Baxter’s on site workshops, I discovered mixed-media. The monthly Art Journal Emporium's (AJE) Grab Bags contain enough papers and ephemera along with an art doll to create not only lots of digitally created pages, but also fodder for creating mixed-media pages. Each month I will show you a page created digitally and the how to’s of creating a mixed-media page. Enjoy!
Using a combination of digital elements created a focal piece and bits and pieces from the Grab Bag along with various art mediums, created a mixed-media journal page.
- Digitally enhanced Tansy and placed her on an ostrich (Rebecca McMeen’s Parker).
- Printed Tansy/Ostrich and a large rose (laser print so that ink doesn’t – alternative print on an inkjet printer and spray with a fixative).
- Cut out the Tansy/Ostrich and Rose (or tear if you want that effect).
- Watercolor background on a page (used 2 colors [Calypso Teal and Postbox Red] of Dylusions ink spray – or use your favorite watercolors, Caran d’Ache Crayons.
- 2-3 sprays of each color on the page, dip brush in water and spread color over page. Used bright colors so that the rose will stand out. Dry.
- Brayered Golden Zinc White over page to tone down.
- Glued rose on page leaving room at bottom for journaling/quote.
- Glued Tansy/Ostrich on top of rose.
- Outlined Tansy with black Uniball Signo pen, Ostrich with gold Uniball Signo pen and rose with dark pink Sharpie.
- With a pencil, drew lines for the journaling/quote. Printed quote, using black Micron 008.
- Doodled – separated lines of the quote with dots, lines on rose, Tansy and ostrich.
- Added round paint splotches to bottom of rose using Golden Fluid Acrylic Phthalo Green and Quinacridone Magenta (colors to complement the background).
- Brushed Faber Castell Glaze over Tansy/Ostrich.
- Made a gold circle (using Gold Glitter Paint – painted a circle of paint on a palette and let dry).
- Peeled circle off palette and glued onto the empty space of the page.
Grab Bags are only available for a limited time once a month and are priced on a sliding scale, so act fast for the best deal! For more information visit TB&CO Grab Bags.
By the way, over in the AJE, you can participate in monthly challenges. There are two winners every month. Just upload your digital or mixed-media entry by the end of the month.
For more information on the Art Journal Emporium visit Art Journal Emporium - Tangie Baxter & CO.
[Posted by Jan]